Sunday, May 27, 2012

Rockford Resident Mona Vanek Featured in The River Journal Magazine


When Trish Gannon, editor of The River Journal, asked to interview me, Mona Vanek, resident of Rockford, Wash., author and editor, it offered a golden opportunity to spread the word about upcoming third editions of Behind These Mountain, vol. 1, 2, and 3.

The River Journal May 2012 issue, with The Montana Scribbler has History at her Fingertips,  became available in Idaho and Montana May 8th. The online story, in full color, was published on the Internet the next day. The feature also relates the story behind the Montana history for which Idaho Writers League honored me with their "1992 Writer of the Year" award.

When have all three volumes ready (ie: edited, revised and written in e-format) the volumes will be published as e-books and made available on electronic devices such as Nook, Kindle and Sony. It's challenging, and keeps me young!

Nevertheless, whenever you see me here on the Palouse, don't expect me to look like the photo in Trish's article. Image is an important aspect of publicity, so when the editor asked for a photo, the .jpg I sent along for the magazine interview was a snapshot taken shortly after we moved to Rockford. A grandson's girlfriend, who worked in the makeup\perfume department in an upscale department store, "did our makeup" for us gals one day. She had us all giggling!

Since that snapshot looks like a studio portrait, I knew that it would reproduce well in print and online editions of The River Journal, because the background is uncluttered. It also makes me look the part of a professional writer, rather than the contented great-grandma I really am. [Big grin] It sure makes me look pretty and professional, but you'll see the real "me" in my website profile .

During 1986 and 1992, when published by The Statesman-Examiner, in Colville, Wash., Behind These Mountains print editions were small runs, so 1st Editions sold out and are now rare collectible books.

More than 28,000 people, worldwide, have viewed the 2nd Edition, published in 2010 on the Internet. Weekly visits exceed 200, and continue to increase.

A big THANK YOU to Trish Gannon for providing an opportunity to announce the upcoming 3rd Edition of a unique, fully-documented, Montana history.