Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Contest - Earth Hour - March 31 and Earth Day - April 22, 2012


Earth Hour (March 31) and Earth Day (April 22)

Read what you can do: Making the world a greener place, one PC at a time .

A couple of months ago, I decided to give iolo's System Mechanic(R) a try. My laptop computer, after three years of 8-14 hours of daily use was sloth slow! Something had to be done. Right then.

I didn't want to bother trying to understand, and comprehend, technical help provided by my extended warranty. Nor did I wish to drive into Spokane and leave it with Best Buy's Geek Squad, (20+ miles from Rockford where I live) even though a maintenance plan I bought two years ago covers three computers and would have covered all charges. I simply could not be without it for who knows how long.

So, with great trepidation, I inserted the iolo software disc, pressed start at the menu, and let System Mechanic(R) install, and take charge.

I knew it was going to take quite a while, since I'd performed only minimal "clean up" maintenance; check disk, defrag, those kinds of simple tasks. I delete (daily) Internet history, because I know how that slows things down.

However, I wasn't prepared for the simple choices System Mechanic presented. A wonderful plus, IMO.

First I let it back up the registry, since I know that's important, and the program informed me it had never been done. It scanned, and found nearly 1,000 registry problems! No wonder things had gotten sluggish!

Next, I let it delete 100 MB of unnecessary clutter. And then, selected "check for redundant programs," guessing there were plenty of those. There were, and I chose to let them be removed.

I had the program do a rescan. I really appreciate being able to made decisions about what steps to let software perform! For instance, I choose not to remove e-mail attachments, because I accept some news, such as city council minutes, via attachments.

Before I'd installed iolo System Mechanic software, I had my Windows 7 built-in "System restore point," create a Restore Point, something I never skip when making changes to my computer.

I also made a Backup copy on an external hard drive, another routine precaution I perform frequently. You might say I'm paranoid about losing computer files. You'd be right. I am! I've been writing on a computer since 1980, and I have copies of every word -- including the three regional Montana history books I published.

However, back to what I think of System Mechanic.

It took quite a while to download updated drivers, but by 9:30 that evening, that task completed. I created another Restore Point (which takes maybe a minute or two.)

To make this long story short, System Mechanic installed the latest drivers I needed, detected and fixed errors on the system drive, and did several other task. What I hadn't anticipated was the amount of time I'd be without use of my laptop while it was doing those tasks, and also realigning 210,987 misaligned files!

I had neglected important maintenence chores since day one! The software program worked non-stop all through that night, and took until well after noon the next day before my laptop worked as smoothly as it did the day I unpacked it!

I set the program so I have a visual overall health meter on my desktop. About twice a month, I let System Mechanic do whatever needs to be done to keep it running smoothly, like it should.

Now, regular maintenance takes less than an hour, saves energy, and gives me confidence that my laptop will give me good service for many more years.

iolo sends newsletters, so now I also know I'm helping to make the world greener, and that is an added plus.

If you want to do likewise, send me an email, Subject: "Letters-to-the-Editor." (Editor TNPW e-Newscast <mailto:newstnpw@air-pipe.com%3E).

I'll give the first four people who write and tell why they want iolo System Software(R) a free copy (Winner selects iolo's System Mechanic(R) from Instant download to receive a FREE Licensed product Key; or winner selects a new boxed iolo's System Mechanic(R) sent via UPSP.)

Go Green!